Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dad and the Spicy Sausage

I’ll say it out loud. Dad has cancer. Part of me thought if I didn’t say it out loud, it would not be true. And it is the cancer that is normally not fatal, but in his case it will be. It is skin cancer. I’ll apologize to my doctors now that for evermore I will make them look at every mole and freckle.

In Dad’s case the cancer is in his neck area and has spread to the nodes and muscle and organs surrounding. They tried to treat the cancer with radiation and chemo. The radiation took out his taste buds and the chemo killed his appetite. In the end, the doc said that they threw their best treatment at the cancer and the cancer just laughed. During the process, Dad has lost an incredible amount of weight, his appetite and the ability to taste anything.

One of our guilty pleasures around the house has been sausage gravy on biscuit -- very simple meal that we really delight in. I remember my mother’s version of this dish growing up. We had friends in the military that my parents had gotten the term “SOS” from and that’s what we always called it. Mom would mix the flour in with the cooked sausage and thin with milk and add additional seasoning as needed. My mother was not one for home made biscuits (sorry Mom, I’m outing you) so we usually served on toast.

In our immediate current family however, Rob and I are constantly competing with each other for the best biscuit title, so lack of fresh homemade biscuits is not an issue here. We are usually trying to school each other in biscuit making. The sausage gravy is a different story. We agree that the best gravy is easily made from the locally produced sausage from GMC and the peppered country gravy mix made by the local Southeastern Mills company located blocks from our house.

I fixed the left over’s from yesterday’s biscuit and gravy breakfast and took them over to Dad this morning. He said “very spicy.” Then he looked at me and said, “that’s a good thing. I can taste it.”  

Rome’s Best Sausage Gravy

1 lb. GMC sausage
1 package Southeastern Mills Old Fashioned Peppered Gravy Mix

1 2/3 cup of water

Milk to thin


Cook sausage thoroughly over medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle gravy mix over sausage and mix in to coat sausage in mix. Slowly pour in cold water and stir as you pour. You’ve effectively made a rue with the sausage fat and the gravy mix and that should keep the gravy from clumping. After it’s all mixed in, if it still needs thinning, add milk as needed to keep from watering down further.
 

 The biscuit recipe is top secret. Rob might be reading....

1 comment:

  1. So glad your dad enjoyed the sausage biscuits. You're a fantastic daughter.

    ReplyDelete